Where to Deliver Your Baby
The Lincoln Community Midwives are pleased to offer their clients the choice between home birth or hospital birth. Midwives are the only primary care providers who offer their clients a choice of birthplace. During your pregnancy, your midwife will discuss your options, and answer any questions you have to make an informed decision.
In the LCM community, approximately 79% of our clients choose hospital birth.
We know that when these safety parameters are met, homebirth outcomes are similar to hospital birth outcomes. In fact, research suggests that when planning home birth:
• Intervention rates are lower
• Infection rates are lower
• Newborn APGAR scores are better
• Maternal satisfaction is higher
In summary, home birth is a safe option for healthy women. Your midwives will monitor your pregnancy and labour in a way that aids decision-making regarding where to have your baby. We want your baby to be safe, and do not knowingly place either one at risk.
For more information please visit: https://www.ontariomidwives.ca/home-birth
Out of hospital birth is an option for most women under midwifery care. Home birth is a choice that has been scientifically studied.
Guidelines for Water Birth – Resource from Arizona, recommended by the Association of Ontario Midwives
• They see birth as a natural process
• They feel most comfortable in a hospital setting
• They feel that the hospital is the safest option in case of an emergency
• They like the idea of being close to hospital-only medical pain relief options such as epidural
Midwives offer some unique options for planned hospital births such as:
• Home labour assessments
• Option for early discharge (at around 3 hours) post birth